Wednesday, January 23, 2013

"There is creative reading as well as creative writing."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson, personal journal


I agree with this completely, and know without a doubt that I have been severely lacking at both.

I'm not really one for New Year's resolutions, not for any specific reason other than that they just don't motivate me personally. I honestly can't remember when the last time I made one was - maybe 12 or 13? And let me guarantee you, it was probably something very teen-angsty and seemingly extremely important to my teenage self (and being completely unimportant in retrospect). 

That being said - a few years ago I decided I wanted to read as much as I could. I work very well by assigning myself concrete, numerical goals so I randomly decided I was going to read 50 books in that year. I think I got pretty close (I'm excellent at record-keeping, so I know I have the list and the exact number somewhere, but I'm too lazy to find it now.)

I've been telling myself for months that I need to read more so I decided I'm going to bring back that goal for 2013!! So my goal for 2013 is to read 50 books. And since I want to read more actively, and start writing again, I'm going to do blogging book reports. Now, I love surprises, so I promise there will be no spoilers. As Emerson suggests, I want to be more creative in both my reading and writing, and I hope that is reflected as I work towards my reading goal for this year. 

Hope everyone enjoys, and if you have any reading suggestions, let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Since we saw the Lincoln movie and I have a Kindle I have downloaded and started reading "Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker" written by Jennifer Chiavarini. She is from Madison and I've read many of her books. (quilting related and civil war era). I don't know if you would like them but I do.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--I was surprised to see a new post! Can't wait to read your book reports. What are you reading right now? I should probably start reading Wicked pretty soon....might take me until May to finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm pretty much up for anything at this point (just a matter of getting my hands on the books).

    And yes!, you should get started reading Wicked! I've been making sure that I read every night - even if it's just one page. If I have time or motivation, I'll sit down and read for awhile. Outside of that, I make sure that I read a little bit before bed every night, even if I'm really tired. Reading one paragraph is better than reading nothing!

    Check out the newest post for my first book (which also leads into what I'm currently reading).

    ReplyDelete